[mythtv-users] Couldnot connect to the Master backend

Andy Scott tv at andelscott.co.uk
Wed Jun 14 08:36:53 UTC 2006

In message <mailman.5722.1150242095.2471.mythtv-users at mythtv.org>,
mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org writes

>Message: 5
>Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:53:55 -0400
>From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Couldnot connect to the Master backend
>       server
>
>On 06/13/2006 02:50 AM, prashantha J Naik wrote:
>> When I run the MythTV, It gives Couldnot connect to the Master backend
>> server -- Is it running ?
>>
>> Any one can give suggestion on the same ?
>
>Check your mysql.txt

This advice is good as far as it goes, but it is incomplete.

For me, mysql.txt was correct (and other instances across the install
were symlinked to ensure consistency).  The actual solution was to
manually amend two entries in the mysql.users table of mythconverg where
'hostname' was required to be set to NULL.  The items were
MasterServerIP and DBSchemaVer.  This is set out in the KnoppMyth WIKI -
look for FrontendOnlyInstall - and this nugget of wisdom is near the
bottom.

I'm posting this here because I wasted a few hours before finding it.
[My install was for Xebian on Xbox rather than Knoppix]
HTH