[mythtv-users] Transcoding and deinterlacing, and other transcode issues

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jun 14 00:50:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 08:40:56PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/13/06 19:42, Brad Templeton wrote:
>
> >b) Due to the presence of transcode problems -- be they audio sync or
> >getting the wrong transcode, a "keep the old copy around" mode might
> >be handy.   To do that, I would create a new recorded entry for the
> >old copy, with an autoexpire value that's very high (making it the first
> >thing to autoexpire if needed) and perhaps rewrite the description or
> >some other flag on it.   Makes it easier to retry transocde experiments
> >too.
> >

> Kind of like the mythtv-setup option:
>
> Save original files after transcoding (globally)
> When set and the transcoder is active, the original files will be
> renamed to .old once the transcoding is complete.
>
> (Although it's up to you to clean up the mess if the transcode
> fails--i.e. put the .old in place over the other and re-run
> "mythcommflag --rebuild".)

Ah, thanks.   Been a while since I explored every option in mythtv-setup.

Now, anybody know what the two interlace options in transcode profiles
do?  I presume they are for interlaced transcodes rather than
deinterlacing transcodes which is what I am after.   (Seems to me that
resizing an interlaced transcode would be trouble.)