[mythtv-users] AC3 passthrough

Landon Clark landon.clark at wnsgs.com
Tue Jun 13 21:05:03 UTC 2006

On 6/13/06 1:03 PM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the suggestion.  Tried that and got the same response.  Finally
>> > got it to work by setting the passthrough device to be dmix.  I am not sure
>> > if that is good or bad, but it works so I am going with it!
>
> Heh.  That means that the device you've specified is not being used or
> your receiver is "upmixing" 2-channel to multi-channel output.  The
> direct-mixing plugin is only 2-channel capable, so any sound passed over
> it would be 2-channel only, and--as it manipulates the stream--would not
> be passthrough.

Hmmm, now I am even more intrigued since my receiver clearly thinks that
this is a surround sound signal...  It has the ability to convert 2 channel
to 5.1, but it clearly letıs you know when it is doing that.  It labels this
as Dolby Digital AC3.  Any thoughts on how this might be possible in the
context of what you are saying above?