[mythtv-users] Frontend / Backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 13 20:20:07 UTC 2006

On 06/13/2006 04:14 PM, Magnus Sandin wrote:
> Is it possible to have a backend with all capture cards and a frontend
> without any capture cards and still watch Live TV on the frontend
> (served from the backend)?

Yes.  That is basically the distinction between a backend and a
frontend.  A backend has capture cards.  A frontend doesn't.

> I could not get this to work, however watching previously recorded shows
> works just fine.
>
> A clear answer or a hint on where to find this answer would be really
> appreciated.

A hint on what the frontend and backend logs say would make it easier to
give you a clear answer.  :)

It could be anything from not finding the file (i.e. due to file
attribute caching for a network filesystem) to video source/input
configuration problems.

Mike