[mythtv-users] Taking a Load Off DataDirect ???

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:37:25 UTC 2006

> All that is true, and in the extreme you could say that the answer is
> one giant Myth system for the world that simply records everything
> ("Everything ever recorded since recording began").
>
> There are problems and issues with sending video over the net,
> copyright and bandwidth limitations come to mind. Sending the
> listings to my brother's machine is feasible, streaming programs in
> DVD or HD quality is not.
>
> As for a centralized database, in effect that is what we have, albeit
> with a lot of local caching.

You wouldn't really have to actually record everything ever recorded;
but you would have to cache the *information* about every program ever
recorded.  I think if you were "big" enough, you could do something
regionally.  Have the person do their own actual recording (satisfy
the FCC et al), but grab the data from your massive server located
semi-locally (depending on how big a 'region' is).  Of course to
satisfy the DD portion, you'd have to do something like Titan did.
But... that could be feasible...

Chad