[mythtv-users] Still stuck - Multiple cable boxes / multiple serial lirc instances

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 21:59:05 UTC 2006

On 12/06/06, obscure information. <obscure411 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been struggling with this issue for about two months now to no avail.
> I am hoping that perhaps someone here can confirm or deny that they've
> accomplished this successfully, and if so... perhaps let me know how you
> managed to?
>
> The scenario is as follows:
>
> I have MythTV 0.19 running on FC4.  I currently have a PVR-150 and a PVR-500
> in the machine.  All three are detected via ivtv properly, and I have
> confirmed all are capturing from the respective inputs successfully.  These
> three encoders are attached to three analog GI CFT-2254 cable boxes.
>
> I currently have two instances of lirc configured as per
> http://www.eggshellskull.com/, one as an IR receiver on the PVR-150, and one
> as a serial IR blaster controlling the first of three cable boxes which has
> its output sent to the PVR-150.
>
> My issue:
>
> These cable boxes can not be set up to use multiple addresses as some set
> top boxes can.  As such, I am required to use multiple serial adapters
> (which I have purchased from irblaster.info) and connect each one to a
> seperate serial port.  No problem there...
>
> From my research, it appears that I'll need to recompile the source for
> lirc, changing the alias to something unique for each of the two additional
> IR blasters I wish to use.  However, I'm not too versed in the ways of
> editing source and compiling programs, and I've been having difficulty
> finding information on how to accomplish this.

The following page gives a detailed account - and the relevant shell
scripting - to convert a virgin LIRC source into a 'renamed' copy that
can run at the same time. It shouldn't be difficult to rerun these
scripts again (for >2 blasters) chaning the ledxmit naming for each
install:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

I have used this page in the past and have successfully had 2 separate
LIRC instances running at the same time, however this was with a pre
0.8.x LIRC release.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: