[mythtv-users] ITVN and MythTV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 12 17:16:41 UTC 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Josh Burks wrote:

> On 6/12/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Being an easy mark for tech products, I signed up for ITVN, a
>> broadband-delivered TV service. This service uses a dedicated STB
>> with baseband outputs.
>>
>> I figured for $4.95/month I can't get bit too hard, at worst I could
>> get stuck with a $100 STB/paperweight.
>>
>> Anybody have any experience using this program source with Myth ??
>> Seems like it should be pretty straightforward with the exception of
>> guide info. I'll have to figure out the remote codes etc. but if
>> somebody has done that already it would save time, otherwise I'll
>> certainly post what I figure out.
>>

> Interesting. I don't have any answers for you, just more questions ;)
>
> How's the video quality with it? Are any of the channels worth
> watching? Does it carry any of the major networks?
>
> I find it funny that the stb and remote both have xtv on them, when
> xtv is there "award winning" adult package ;)
>
> I wonder if the stb could be hacked into a Media MVP like frontend?

Can't answer much yet, just ordered the service this morning and
won't get the STB for a couple of days

XTV is apparently an extra cost addition ($30/month). They do
advertise that the remote has a "panic button" to blank the screen
when you are watching an X-Rated program and your minister or child
walks into the room - an interesting feature to advertise.

But I don't think I'll check out XTV, if I wanted porn there is
enough free stuff on the net, and I've always believed that sex is
not a spectator sport, and I can do without "Miss Piggy Gets
Jiggy" (an actual XTV title) :-)

Apparently their "LiveTV" recently featured Lance Armstrong playing
Frisbee Golf, a real nail-biter if I ever heard of one.

I think I will pass on the Lacrosse channel as well. The main thing
that looks interesting is the "Silver Screen Network" of old movies.

Since the STB costs more than an MVP that would not be a productive
hack, but I agree that it would just about have to be a similar
device. I'd guess they are using something more efficient than mpeg-2
compression though. I also wonder if the output will have any sort of
DRM on it. I will certainly take the thing apart if I can.

The STB does apparently have composite, S-Video and component
outputs, as well as "digital" audio (presumably spdif).

As for quality, they say:

"ITVN streams at variable bit-rates (i.e. 700, 500, and 300 Kilobits
per Second). When Video is playing the bit-rate can be adjusted by
using the “Up” and “Down” Arrow buttons on the ITVN remote. If the
Video stream stops to buffer often, try adjusting to a lower bit-rate."

In any case, for $5/month and no commitment, the worst that can
happen is I get stuck with a $100 STB, which I can always play with.

I'll of course post whatever more I learn, might make an interesting
addition to the system.