[mythtv-users] Taking a Load Off DataDirect ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jun 12 03:33:51 UTC 2006

On Jun 11, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 06/11/2006 09:26 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> I suspect a lot of us run multiple Myth systems. No real reason for
>> more than one in our home, but perhaps for friends, family,
>> enemies etc.
>>
>> I suspect that in many if not most of these cases the channel lineups
>> are the same.
>>
>> How about a way to share the schedule data with multiple machines? My
>> Mom's or Brother's machine could be pointed at mine to obtain data,
>> taking some load off DataDirect.
>>
>> In major markets there might be dozens if not hundreds of Myth
>> systems, maybe a "local repeater" could service those machines?
>>
>> Or maybe Datadirect would not like that,
>
> right
>
>>  losing the information they
>> obtain from their survey?
>>
>> I guess it depends on how much of a problem the server load is for
>> DD, and I can't answer that of course.
>>
>> But it's just an idea...
>
>  From the license agreement ( click "New User? Sign-Up" at
> http://labs.zap2it.com/ )
>
> You shall not without TMS' prior written consent:
> (i) Redistribute or republish the Licensed Data;
> (iii) Reproduce, distribute, modify, post or create derivative works
> based on the Licensed Data;
>
> So, I guess they'd prefer to work out their own resource issues rather
> than have us help.  :)

I should have mentioned that I am aware it would violate the present
agreement, and would require the OK of DD.

I guess I just wonder if DD would appreciate any load reduction, but
I'm shooting completely in the dark here as I don't know what the
load is, or their capacity etc.

Just seems that anything that "spreads the load" is a good thing in
general. Such a feature might also have application in places other
than the US where the schedule info situation might be vastly different.