[mythtv-users] IR Transmitting broke with OS change

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 20:55:14 UTC 2006

Hello List,

I have been a long time gentoo user for my desktop, and had ubuntu on my
laptop.  I recently migrated my desktop to ubuntu as well.  I had a proven
working setup in gentoo with IR transmitting.  When I came to ubuntu, dapper
has a broken LIRC package.  No big deal, I ran over to the debian packages
site and grabbed a newer version (0.8 based).  On gentoo I was also running
a 0.8 based version of lirc.

Now lirc is properly installed and I built modules for lirc-serial and
lirc-mceusb.  Again, since I had a proven working lirc setup in gentoo, I
copied over my lircd.conf and modified the dapper init.d script to start
like I started it in gentoo.

The IR receiver for mceusb works just fine, all my config stuff transferred
over.  Now the IR blaster i use lirc-serial for seems to have stopped
working.  If I hold it "just right" in front of the TV, I can get a 10
percent success rate.  This baffled me, and I rebooted back into my gentoo
install.  The gentoo install still worked perfectly from several feet away
at any which angle.  Again, I went back to ubuntu and rinsed the lirc
packages out, relathered, and repeated.... same thing.  Well this has been
on going now for about a month or two, and since then I have wiped the
gentoo partition off in favor or space.  I used Winlirc on another machine
in the appt to verify the blaster still worked right, and it still does.
I'm still having these difficulties.  I thought maybe this could be amd64
related, so I wiped an old pentium mmx box and did a ubuntu server install.
I set up lirc again, and I get just as bad performance out of this box.

Anyone who moved up to dapper - maybe from breezy have similar issues?
Maybe does the default ubuntu kernel use some odd timing method that is
throwing off the speed on my serial port?  Are there any thing related to
timing maybe for me to tinker with in /proc in hopes of getting this going
right?

I appreciate any help,

Mario