[mythtv-users] Brand New MythTV Questions

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 16:56:22 UTC 2006

On 09/06/06, Gabriel Sterling <gabriel.sterling at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope these questions aren't too terribly redudant, and forgive my
> ignorance.  I am a novice, especially when it comes to X Windows.  I
> am like 99% of the way to getting my MythTV box running.

> Questions/Issues:
> 1.  Only a few of the channels are tuning in, most are just
> static/white noise.  I should have channels almost all they way from 2
> to 100 and instead I can only tune about 8-10 channels, starting
> around 16.
> 2.  The channels are slightly "grainy".

Can't offer any US specific help other than suggesting to check the
correct frequency table is being used in mythtv-setup for the
PVR-350's tuner. I also turn off the noise detection options in the
ivtv driver at boot as it gives me a sharper picture (I use
S-Video/composite input though, not tuner).

> 3.  My Menus and all of X-Windows is slightly too big for the screen.
> The edges of the desktop and windows tend to hang off the side just
> enough so that the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons and such are always out
> of view.

The 'missing sides' are due to the overscan of the PVR-350 video
output. You _may_ be able to correct some of this if your TV allows
changing the its input geometry but otherwise you're likely stuck with
it. Note that you can run mythfrontend in a window, and have control
over its placement on the screen and height and width. The options for
this are in mythfrontend's setup.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: