[mythtv-users] Tablet PC's

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 23:32:23 UTC 2006

Dawson, Guy wrote:
>> Ivan Kowalenko : 08 June 2006 02:40

8< snip 802.11b probably not fast enough for Myth.

> Strangely,  I wasn't thinking of using it without wiring it to the network!
> I was actually think of hanging it on a wall instead of a small LCD TV.
>
> This line of thought was prompted by another thread herein regarding
> (Myth)calender.  The question there was regarding the problems of using a
> low res (ie TV) screen for applications typically designed for desktops.  I
> got to thinking that this was back to front,  and that for small screens (eg
> in bedrooms / utility areas) it would be better to start with a PC.  Trouble
> is you need a compact solutions.  This led me to thinking about tablets,
> although there are some all-in-ones that would also do the job!
>
> The biggest issue I expect would be video decoding.  Like laptops,  you
> don't get to swap video cards, so this would be the make / break question.

For that reason I am in the process of throwing together 3 667Mhz PIIIs
PCs, (mainly out of spares) I've got a source of cheap second hand i815
motherboards and the only other things I'm having to buy are PSUs
(either a Fortron FSP300-60GNF if I've got the cash or Sky Hawk Power
One if I haven't) and a big heat sync (Scythe Katana fits a socket 370
and is big enough to keep a PIII 667 well below 60 with no fan) after
that if the i815 graphics can't help enough to do good SD, I'll get some
AGP Nvidia 5200s, (or ATI 9250s if the XvMC is working for them by then)
but I suspect I'll be OK, 3 cheap diskless, fanless frontends that I'll
probably just nail to the wall.