[mythtv-users] Mythphone

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 15:10:02 UTC 2006

--- Nick Ellson wrote:

> Did you install MythStrobe? ;) (Sorry, couldn't
> resist)
>
> I am using a Intel Pro Cam USB (no audio on the
> camera) but the Gentoo
> Kernel didn't have drivers for it, so I had to
> emerge the sct5xx drivers.

Never hear of Mythstrobe.  Are you joking based on my
switching the lights on and off comment?  Driver wise
I think I'm good, both cameras, on their respective
PCs, work fine, although the Quickcam Express is on a
PC with a rubbish mic and I need to buy a new one.
The Quickcam 4000 mic seems fine based on my cat
/dev/dsp1 tests.

> I have tested the 612 time-of-day FWD number with
> audio. I have had
> external friends try to connect to me using the FWD
> client and have seen
> the same sort of result. Good local video, but
> sketchy connects with
> others outside. (DSL 768/1.5 )

Cable 3Mb/s down 256Kb/s up, I scaled the video size
down to minimum and I think that it was within the
limits.  Perhaps it's just that simple.  I wish I
lived 2 miles away where I could get FIOS 15Mb/s down
2Mb/s up :-( Can I go LAN P2P without going through
the WAN for intercom-like functionality?

I wonder if anyone has a tiny webcam working on the
Zaurus since the newer versions have USB host
capability?  It would make an interesting mobile sip
video client.

> I have not had time
> to really dig in and
> watch what is going on. Ethereal has a bunch of
> decodes for SIP/Skinny so
> I was thinking of taking a peak at what it sees. Do
> audio only calls work
> reliably?

I've had my FWD number for years but never actually
used it.  I'll try calling myself from my land line; I
have unlimited long distance calls in the USA so any
US city POTS to FWD gateway should work for a test.