[mythtv-users] Dish Network and MythTV setup questions

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 03:42:40 UTC 2006

> Can someone point me to web sites that describe how to set up Dish
> Network satellite and MythTV?  I'm interested in what and how people
> have configured their systems.  For example, are you using it to
> distribute satellite tv throughout the house w/mythfrontend?  How
> well does it work?  What's the best capture card?  I have a
> PVR-500.
> Is that good?  What receiver should I get?  What remote?  etc...

Your pvr500 will do just fine. Get whatever is the least expensive receiver
is at the time. Picture quality is the same for all models. Avoid the dual
receiver in a box type as the second receiver is controlled by a rf remote
which AFAIK is not controllable from mythtv. You need a way to control it.
Some people will tell you to set up lirc and make a homemade transmitter and
all that jazz but the easy way is to go buy a MyBlaster serial from
www.my.tv. Use the available linux driver and dishnetwork control is dead
easy. I have been running the myblaster for about 2 years now and it never
misses a channel change. The latest version of the driver can by found on
sourceforge.net.

Another easy option might be to go with directv. If you look thru the mythtv
archives you can find out which models can be directly controlled by a
serial cable. Same pic quality and same programming. No blaster needed.

I distribute the tv around the house on a combined front/back machine and
two modded x-boxes in the other rooms.