[mythtv-users] Easy question about program guide and multiple sources

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Wed Jun 7 18:29:15 UTC 2006

Jason McMillon wrote:
> I am considering adding my motorola digital cable box as an input to
> my MythTV setup.  I currently have two PVR-250s (connected to standard
> cable) and one HD5000 (connected to an OTA antennae).  I have a cable
> box (for HBO, etc) connected to an additional input on my TV.
> Everything is working great!!
>
> Now my question:
>
> If I remove the standard cable from one of my PVR-250s input and
> replace it with the cable box output (understanding that I will have
> to find a script to let MythTV change the channel via the serial port)
> and configure zap2it with the additional 'digital' source, what will
> my program guide look like?
>
> Will there be duplicate entries for the overlapping channels?  I guess
> I could delete all the 'standard cable' channels from the digital
> source, but then what if I want to record two things at once on
> 'standard' cable?  I think MythTV will only know of one source for
> standard cable defeating the purpose of having two PVR-250s.
>
> I am sure there is a way to do this that I am not aware of...
>
> Any help will be great appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!
I have 4 PVR cards with the same source, and Myth can record from all 4
at once, all using 'standard' cable. It is smart enough to figure out
what card has what channels/programs available, and will figure it out.
If you want to prefer one card over another, you can play with
card/program priorities, but I haven't really looked at that so I
couldn't tell you how it works.

Tom