[mythtv-users] video distortion

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 14:42:31 UTC 2006

On 7 Jun 2006, at 15:38, Will Constable wrote:

> I am running a frontend via s-video and when I use the same TV and
> s-video cable from my laptop via windows I get a perfect picture,
> but using linux on my myth box there is something wrong.  The color
> is fine but there are vertically oriented bars of distortion that
> scan from left to right constantly—they are transparent in the
> sense that you can see everything on the screen just fine at any
> given time, but they are really annoying to look at.  I am
> wondering if the video card itself, an old Geforce 4 MX420 I had
> lying around, is just not a good enough card or might be damaged,
> or if maybe a setting for the nvidia driver in my XOrg.conf could
> fix this.  Any suggestions?
Check your display settings for the TV Out (especially vertical/
horizontal refresh and resolution) on your windows laptop, and try to
mirror them in your xorg.conf

nvidia tv-out is generally speaking about as good as it gets for cheap
(ish) consumer cards, so i doubt the card is at fault, it'll be your
settings :)

Ben