[mythtv-users] Speaker Suggestions ???

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jun 7 14:03:01 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
>> Well, I would not trust anyone who thinks that Bose speakers are any
>> good for real high-fi.
>
> I think most folks missed the intended sarcasm when I spoke of Bose,
> I am aware they are more marketing than engineering these days.

Ahh, you forgot to write that in font <sarcastic>!

>> If you are going to go listen to some speakers,
>> take your own CD of something you know really well and know how it
>> should sound. Better yet if you have a friend with a good system,
>> listen
>> to it there too, before going shopping. Arrange for a quiet time: you
>> cannot choose speakers with a hockey game going on on the 50" plasma
>> screen behind you. My choice would be something like Alfred Brendal
>> playing Mozart piano concertos with Sir Neville Mariner on a Phillips
>> DDD CD: very well balanced and mixed. Any fault in the speakers or amp
>> will show up, instantly. Yo-Yo Ma doing the first cello concerto and
>> anyone doing the clarinet concerto in D will expose any errors in a
>> speaker.
>
> Ah Ha - a *real* music lover !
>
> For checking out low-frequency response, I have a recording of E.
> Power Biggs playing the Flentrop Organ at the Busch-Reisinger Museum,
> and several others made on the Aeolian-Skinner at St. Bartholemew's
> in NYC (a 198 rank instrument).
>
> I had the honor of turning pages for Mr. Biggs long ago, as he and my
> father were aquainted. This was of course before his untimely death.

I have a few recordings of Biggs. The real problem with organ music is
that you can never be sure what that particular organ *should* sound
like. Although for checking *if* a system can adequately produce some
output, an organ recording will do, in default of plugging in a sine
wave generator!

Geoff