[mythtv-users] MythDevice?

Warren warren-lists at icruise.com
Wed Jun 7 13:34:12 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:

>On Jun 7, 2006, at 6:39 AM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>

>>On 5/31/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>

>>>My opinion is that I have no desire to have to answer the inevitable
>>>idiotic questions from customers, as once you take their money they
>>>have no compunctions about bothering you constantly with questions
>>>that will make even P.T. Barnum's assessment of human intelligence
>>>seem optimistic. There must be easier ways to make a living.
>>>

>>You Nailed it!
>>
>>But, something I was shocked to find was in:
>>http://www.vwbinc.com/press/122205pr.html
>>
>>They claim to be able to use CableCard on a Linux box.  I've never
>>heard of such a thing.  Last I heard AVI had only demoed a CableCard
>>device.
>>
>>What gives?
>>

>There was some discussion of this very machine/company on this list a
>while back. I think the conclusion was that there is a vast
>difference between the technical ability to interface with the card
>and the legal/licensing ability to actually use it. I believe they
>referred to CableCard in the future tense.
>
>They do seem to have some interesting hardware that might well be of
>use for Myth systems. Check the archives for the past discussion.

I used to head up the team that did the programming for VWB's machines.
When their press release came out I gave them I call and spoke the their
head of operations.  He said that they are in the process of getting
certified.  That was about a month ago I would guess.  At this point
AFAIK they have not gotten certification.  If they do, it would be a
beautiful thing, however I take a wait and see attitude, especially
knowing them as well as I do.