[mythtv-users] Speaker Suggestions ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 6 22:18:22 UTC 2006

> Well, I would not trust anyone who thinks that Bose speakers are any
> good for real high-fi.

I think most folks missed the intended sarcasm when I spoke of Bose,
I am aware they are more marketing than engineering these days.

> If you are going to go listen to some speakers,
> take your own CD of something you know really well and know how it
> should sound. Better yet if you have a friend with a good system,
> listen
> to it there too, before going shopping. Arrange for a quiet time: you
> cannot choose speakers with a hockey game going on on the 50" plasma
> screen behind you. My choice would be something like Alfred Brendal
> playing Mozart piano concertos with Sir Neville Mariner on a Phillips
> DDD CD: very well balanced and mixed. Any fault in the speakers or amp
> will show up, instantly. Yo-Yo Ma doing the first cello concerto and
> anyone doing the clarinet concerto in D will expose any errors in a
> speaker.

Ah Ha - a *real* music lover !

For checking out low-frequency response, I have a recording of E.
Power Biggs playing the Flentrop Organ at the Busch-Reisinger Museum,
and several others made on the Aeolian-Skinner at St. Bartholemew's
in NYC (a 198 rank instrument).

I had the honor of turning pages for Mr. Biggs long ago, as he and my
father were aquainted. This was of course before his untimely death.

> If you have multi-channel decoding problems, check out the forums at
> stevehoffman.tv for assistance like here at mythtv-users. If you don't
> mind going to the cheaper end, you can buy 5.1 and 7.1 components on
> eBay for $200 which will likely be quite adequate for most TV (but may
> not make it for a 'Live From Lincoln Centre' PBS HD broadcast.)

I have sat in the Efanel truck for more than one of those productions
(well, not the HD part), but that was years ago, when digital was a
new-fangled watch and the Scully 100s ruled the world.

The Philharmonic is good, but I happen to think that Jimmy Levine's
little outfit is better, especially now that they play independently
some times.

Much thanks for the advice, for a group that almost never mentions
audio there seem to be some experts here.