[mythtv-users] Static noise from AC3 passthrough

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 07:00:15 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> You won't be able to use digital or digital-hw or mixed-digital with
> passthrough.  I've just recently gotten some information (from you and
> others writing in this thread, actually) that helped me to find out
> what's going on (but I haven't yet had time to work out the solution).
>
> The problem is related to the two passthrough tickets Daniel recently
> closed.  Both had hacks in them that made passthrough work in a
> particular situation, but neither was correct.  When I get some time
> (might not be until Sep/Oct timeframe, though), I'll work on it.  Until
> then, you'll have to use iec958 (or your card's equivalent) for passthrough.
>
> Mike

I am still curious why, when I set up digital-hw as my default in my
.asoundrc (I assume that is what I have done), it does not default to
that setting when I do 'aplay Track01.wav', instead I need to do
'aplay -d digital-hw Track01.wav'.  It sounds like what others have
described as not resampling properly (or perhaps resampling it to
something my receiver does not understand).

Seems like that may be the first step I need to tackle -- an improper
.asoundrc perhaps?