[mythtv-users] IVTV issues (video scrambled looking)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 3 17:16:37 UTC 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Mickey Chandler wrote:

> At 11:24 AM 6/3/2006, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Very strange. The mpeg actually seems to be good, by that I mean it
>> has accurately recorded what it was asked to record, and it plays
>> back without errors. In other words whatever is causing the problem
>> is ahead of the mpeg encoder.
>
> That's not good news.
>
>> The information is all there, just not locked.
>>
>> Is it possible that this signal is being encoded in some way as to
>> prevent recording ? I know you said it played OK on a TV set but that
>> might not mean anything. It almost looks like Macrovision, but in the
>> horizontal not the vertical, and a Macrovision signal will look OK on
>> a TV but won't allow a VCR to get a good servo lock.
>
> Well, the cable guys asked me why I didn't just buy a TiVO and hook
> it up.  Unless TiVO knows something that Myth doesn't, then I'm
> guessing that this shouldn't be the case.
>
>> At this point I would say the video signal is non-standard in some
>> way that prevents the capture card from locking, but I really need
>> more information.
>
> What information do you need and how could I go about getting it?

What cable system, what if any gear they provided, how many sets and
what tier(s) you are subscribing to.

If they provided any equipment, what maker and model #s.

A TiVo can work by controlling a STB, and can deal with scrambled
signals that way.

Also, make sure your are set up for ntsc and the proper channel freqs
(just checking the obvious again).