[mythtv-users] Recommendations about the Nvidia 7300 GS PCI-E range of cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Jun 3 13:51:18 UTC 2006

On Jun 3, 2006, at 7:22 AM, James Buckley wrote:

> Hi, does anyone have any experience with the Nvidia 7300 GS line of
> cards/chipsets. Currently I have a 6150 Onboard GFX chip powering
> my Myth
> box (on an MSI K8NGM2-FID), but that chip is more hastle then its
> worth, so
> I was thinking of buying an MSI GeForce 7300 GS. Only £37.95 (Yep
> I'm in the
> UK). I'm not looking for any gaming potential, but just need to be
> able to
> do 1080i output over DVI, preferably without turning of "Sync to
> VBlank".
>
> So, would people recommend this card? If so, why, if not, why.
>
> Thanks in advance, james

I do not know anything specific about this card, but in general
nVidia cards cards since the 5xxx series seem to have traded off some
video-friendly features in favor of gaming performance.

An example would be the chroma-keying that went away with the 6xxx
series.

This makes sense considering that their primary market is adolescent
gamers (or rather their parents), but seems to mean that us video
freaks are less important.

I'm sure the card would work for you, but I'm not sure if it would
work any better than a 5200 or even a 6200, both of which are
available in sans fans if sound is important to you.

But UK pricing can be flaky, and perhaps the 5200 and 6200 would cost
you more, as 38UKP is a decent price even in the US for the 7300.