[mythtv-users] Nothing to record, but no Idle/Shutdown

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:51:31 UTC 2006

On 6/2/06, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt that this is by design and suspect that there's scope for
> someone to roll their sleeves up and do a bit of tidying up.  If you
> feel up to it then I've another couple of symptoms that you could look
> at:
>
> Manually starting the backend during a scheduled recording that will
> not be recorded ( due to the episode record limit being reached in my
> case but probably for 'repeat' or 'Previous' also) causes the machine
> to assume an auto start up, hence not start a frontend,  and shut
> straight down again.
>
> The programmed wake-up time does not take account of the "Start Late"
> offset.  Luckily, because of the issue that you have noted, when the
> backend wakes up early it doesn't shut itself down before the
> recording is due to actually start.
>
> Good Luck

Well David, thanks for your reply, at least.

I admit that what I described amounts to nothing more that a little
wasted energy and a bit of a nuisance.  What you described might be
viewed as a "bad_news/good_news" situation.  It's unlikely anyone will
find the time to take on "a bit of tidying up" when there are plenty
of serious conditions that need looking into.

Unrealistic as it may seem, I was just hoping to jar someone's memory
into recalling how previous releases (0.18, for example) behaved, then
make 0.19 behave the same way.

I think a more realistic view (for me, at least), might be to pursue
the steps documented in the following thread:
  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/186089?search_string=mainmenu.xml;#186089

It shows how to add REBOOT or SHUTDOWN or POWEROFF buttons to the
frontend.  Having the extra buttons would save having to ssh into the
system that has failed to be shut down and manually shutting it down.

Oh well, I took a shot.  Missed.  Maybe next time.

--
MM