[mythtv-users] Can a diskless frontend WOL the backend?

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 09:22:56 UTC 2006

> My DHCP and TFTP servers are on my backend.  But thanks for pointing
> me in the initrd direction.  That solution worked.  I didn't know you
> could execute random commands via an initrd image.  Now I just have to
> work on cutting down my boot times.

I always thought this looked a really interesting approach to
improving boot times -
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html. I
haven't got around to trying it yet so can't vouch for it.

There's also some inrteresting info at

NB - all of tehse approaches look like pretty serious changes - caveat
emptor etc. Also, I imagine one of the drawbacks is that unless
they're part of a distro you're going to have to re-apply all the good
work every time you upgrade the distro.

If you do have any success please share!