[mythtv-users] Selective database data copying from 0.18 to 0.19

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 2 00:45:19 UTC 2006

On 06/01/06 19:02, Stephen Kitchener wrote:

>On Thursday 01 Jun 2006 23:13, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>Hi Mike,
>

>>On 06/01/06 18:01, Stephen Kitchener wrote:
>>

>>>Does anyone know what table(s) (and possible new tables) I need to copy
>>>from a database that is in use on a 0.18 based mythtv to a 0.19 database
>>>that I am about to start using time. I have one .18 machine running on
>>>one machine and a .19 on another that I want to use for the new features.
>>>
>>>The tables that I am very interested in replicating/converting are those
>>>that are used to keep the history of programs recorded and used to
>>>automatically schedule programs in the future.
>>>

>>http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7
>>
>>Note, though, that you won't be able to insert 0.18 data directly into a
>>0.19 database.  So, your best bet is to backup your 0.18 data, install
>>0.19 on the 0.18 machine, run any myth program (mythtv-setup,
>>mythbackend, mythfrontend) to upgrade the database, shut down the myth
>>program, make a 0.19 backup, and follow the instructions to put that
>>0.19 data into the new machine.
>>

>Thing is, I already have one machine running .18 and another setup running
>0.19. All I want to move is the favourites part of the database....If I can't
>do that, I have to live with it and just keep a lookout for the shows I
>like...

You can always let the backup create the entire DB schema for you on the
new 0.19 system (which will upgrade the schema version when you run it),
but depending on configuration issues (hostnames, capture cards, etc.),
you may be putting a lot of stuff into the new system that you'll have
to get rid of later (it may cause Myth to fail to work and result in
days of debugging).

You could try editing all the SQL statements from the backup that aren't
0.19-compatible, but this is likely to cause problems, too, unless you
really know what you're doing.

If you upgrade the 0.18 system, you can get a 0.19-compatible backup to
import the appropriate information directly into your newly-configured
0.19 system and not have to worry about putting old/outdated/wrong
information in the new system.  You don't even have to make things like
recording or LiveTV work on the 0.18-upgraded-to-0.19 system--just make
mythtv-setup 0.19 work and you're good.

Mike