[mythtv-users] General Set-Up Question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 1 22:00:26 UTC 2006

On 06/01/06 17:34, Greg Woods wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 12:56 -0700, Robert McIntosh wrote:
>

>>if the machine that is serving as the MythTV server is
>>not located next to the television, will I need some sort of device next
>>to the TV in order to control the MythTV server?

To put names on these (as it seems the terminology is the greatest
source of the OP's confusion):

>You will obviously need some sort of connection to the TV.

from your frontend (the computer running mythfrontend).

> That means
>either you have to run a cable from a video output of your TV server to
>the TV,

if you set up your TV server as a combined backend (the computer that
runs mythbackend) and frontend

> and some kind of control device

such as an infrared receiver for your remote

> from near where you watch the TV

so the remote signal can reach the receiver

>back to the server,

which--because it's a frontend--is running LIRC to process received
remote signals.

> or you will need a computer near the TV

a frontend

> that is
>connected to the server

a separate backend

> via an IP network link.

the network ;)

Note that by definition, a backend does the recording/capturing of TV
(for recorded programs /and/ LiveTV), and a frontend simply decodes and
plays back the recording.

HTH.

Mike