[mythtv-users] Can a diskless frontend WOL the backend?

Scott Colbeck scolbeck at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 03:23:50 UTC 2006

Does anyone know if a diskless frontend could send a WOL magic packet
to turn on the backend as part of the boot process?  The backend is
where the frontend's kernel and root filesystem reside.

My backend is setup to automatically wake up and shut down for
scheduled recordings.  Currently to boot the frontend, if the backend
is not already up, I have to first walk into the other room and
manually turn the backend on.

If I can't WOL the backend with a completely diskless solution, is it
possible to do this with a small CF card in the frontend?  I attempted
this with the kernel on the CF card but wasn't able to figure out how
to send the WOL magic packet before the root filesystem attempted to
be NFS mounted.

My frontend is a VIA Epia M10000 running Gentoo.

Thanks for your help.

Scott