[mythtv-users] MythTV not controlling volume with Intel-HDA driver (snd_intel_hda)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 31 21:19:41 UTC 2006

On 07/30/2006 08:08 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

>   Has anyone else experienced this problem? On a new machine we got
>for our son we are using the snd_intel_hda driver. What I'm finding so
>far is that Xine controls volume correctly but  Myth does not.

xine is probably controlling Master, not PCM or Front.

>   I've chosen PCM audio in the setup, but when I change audio from
>the keyboard using '[' or ']' volume doesn't change. The GUI shows
>volume going up and down but the volume itself doesn't change at all.
>
>   Watching alsamixer at the same time I see nothing changing when
>using Myth's volume control. If I adjust the PCM volume in alsamixer I
>do not get any volume change, but if I change a control in alsamixer
>called 'Front' then I get the volume I'm looking for.
>
>   I'm using /dev/mixer and the mixer controls PCM in Myth's setup. I
>don't see how to tell Myth to control Front, nor am I clear why I
>should have to.

With Myth, you have the option of "Mixer controls Master" and "Mixer
controls PCM."   If you change your setting to "Mixer controls Master",
it will probably work for you.  If not, or if you want to control
anything else, you'll have to use an external program.

Use internal volume controls
- MythTV can control the PCM and master mixer volume. If you prefer to
use an external mixer program, then disable this option.

So, uncheck that option. Then, set up your system to use an external
program for volume. For example, if you're using LIRC, set your volume
buttons like:

begin
  prog   button   config   repeat end
begin
  prog   button   config   repeat end
begin
  prog   button   config   config   repeat end

and use the attached script (modified as directed in the comments) to
control your volume.

Yes, I know there are two config lines in the definition for mute.  They
will cause the mute button to work as a toggle--muting the sound the
first time you press it and unmuting the second time.  Adjust the repeat
to give
you the speed of volume changes you desire when holding down vol-up or
vol-down.

Note, also, that you need to change the button names to whatever you've
defined in your lircd.conf and you *must* start irexec (i.e. add the
lines, "killall irexec" and  "irexec -d" (no quotes)--and in the order
given ;)--to .xinitrc).

Mike