[mythtv-users] My Ceiling Fan Controls My Mythtv Sound :(

Gucchu Gul Lalwani gglalwani at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 06:01:50 UTC 2006

Hi,

Strangely but I have no audio on Mythtv. To get audio I need to turn on
and off my ceiling fan, in short have a some kind of electrical
interference or surge generated. The clicking sound through the Desktop
speakers, is followed by TV channel audio output. This is 100% reproducible.

Before I mention the setup/hardware, I will like to mention Kradio works
perfectly fine on the same Tv Tuner card and Motherboard based Sound
card. I run Windows XP on the same machine and I see no issues with the
hardware.

Hardware:

1 Sound Card:
Model: .Elitegroup Sound Controller, Vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems
Corp; SIS 7012.
Running ALSA 1.0.10-0
2. TV Tuner Card
BT878 Prolink Pixel ViewPlayTv Pro.
Vendor: Brooktree Corporation
Card Configuration
BTTV Card =72, (Prolink Pixelview PV-BT878P+9B (PlayTv Pro rev.9B FM+NICAM)
Tuner = 58 (Ymec TVision TVF-8531MF/8831MF/8731MF) [My Tuner is TVF-8831
B/DFF, I did not find the exact tuner support in bttv documentation]

OS and Configuration

3. Running SUSE 10.0 Kernel version 2.6.13-15-default
KDE version 3.4.3-27.2 i586
Mythtv 0.19-1

4. modprobe enteries
optionss bttv card=72 tuner=58 pll=1 radio=1
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

5.  Reading somethreads about KDE and audio issues with TV applications
I confirmed the following is having a modular support in my default kernel.

    * the *snd_bt87x.ko* driver for the Audio (CONFIG_SND_BT87X: in
      Device Drivers -> Sound -> ALSA -> PCI Devices -> bt87x Audio
      Capture)
          o If you use the obsolete OSS system instead of ALSA, you want
            CONFIG_SOUND_BT878 (in Device Drivers -> Sound -> OSS -
            bt878 audio DMA, /and/ Tv card (bt848) mixer support)
    * I²C Support (Device Drivers -> I²C Support -> I²C Support and I²C
      bit-banging interfaces)
    * the *bttv.ko* driver, under Video4Linux (CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848:
      Device Drivers -> Multimedia devices -> Video For Linux -> BT848
      Video For Linux) (you HAVE to activate I2C support in order that
      BT848 appears in the menu)

Do we know if there is a bug fix available? Please suggest if I need to
migrate to another version of software to fix the issue on my computer
or tweak some settings?

Thanks,

Gucchu