[mythtv-users] Slow frontend

Joel McGregor joelsplace at verizon.net
Sat Jul 29 19:05:31 UTC 2006

I'm a Linux and Myth newb so I don't know much.  I've got an XP2600, 512MB
DDR400, GF4 video w/xvmc, 3 PVR150s, JFS LVM for storage, ASUS A7V600 MB
using Knoppmyth R57C which uses Myth .19

Video playback and menu response is fine on the backend box.

I can use WebMyth and click on a previously recorded program from another
machine on my network and the video plays fine.

If I use the Knoppmyth cd to run a frontend the video is choppy and the
menus scroll slowly around .5 sec and selecting shows in previously recorded
or delete recordings is very slow 2-3 seconds to respond.  I've tried it on
several machines from a P4 1.7GHz with 1GB RAM to my AMD64 3700 laptop also
with 1GB of ram.

I also tried installing myth frontend from atrpms on FC5 on the laptop.  The
video is ok but the menus are still very slow.

I am using wired connections everywhere at 100Mb half duplex.  The videos
are all MPEG2.

Backend CPU usage is almost none (0.3% or less total) according to top when
playing video on a remote frontend.

Any ideas where to start?  Thanks,   Joel