[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 29 18:06:48 UTC 2006

Mike,

You keep quoting that same old example. Let's see if we can't work out where
the confusion is.

Your example:

Card 0 - Movie - 3:30-5:30
Card 1 - Show [1] - 4:59-5:31
Conflict - Show [2] - 5:29-6:01

I added numbers to the shows.

If Show 1 and Show 2 are on the same channel and we can write to two files
are once, then there is NO conflict.
At 5:29 Card 1 would start writing to a second file for Show 2.
Card 1 is now writing to two files at once for 2 minutes.
At 5:31 Card 1 stops writing to the file for Show 1. It then continues to
record the REST of Show 2. None of this, "ooh Card 0 is free at 5:30 so lets
record a minute of Show 2 with Card 1, then the rest with Card 0 and stitch
em together for kicks and giggles"

If Myth knows that Card 0 and Card 1 are of the same quality it would decide
to do the above regardless of whether it could record Show 2 at a later time
with Card 0.
If Card 1 has a lesser quality to Card 0 and myth sees that it can record
Show 2 at a later time, it would do this so as to record it with the highest
quality. However if it can't be recorded later, it would record the whole
show on Card 1 - instead of, in your example not recording it at all.

Do you see what I mean?

Steve Daniels