[mythtv-users] Potential HD frontend?

varek varekb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 00:17:06 UTC 2006

Greetings!

I've been lurking here for quite a while.  Now it's time for a question.

I currently run a combo front/back end with a PVR-500 and I've been very
happy with how it performs.  I built this out of my wife's old Sempron
system after we bought her a laptop.  Now I'd like to move to a dedicated,
quieter front-end that will look good in the entertainment cabinet.

My local computer shop showed me a Foxconn "Tuckaway" that I think would
make a great case but I'm concerned about the graphics chipset which is the
Intel GMA 900.

Here is the system:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Product/Barebone_detail.aspx?ID=en-us0000005

This system would probably do fine on SD even if there wasn't a good
accelerated driver for the Intel chipset but I recently found that my cable
company offers digital terminals with HD output on firewire so I'd like to
be able to do that eventually.  I've looked around but I'm having difficulty
figuring out if the GMA 900 chipset is well enough supported in Linux to
display HD content.

Any thoughts or comments on this unit would be appreciated.  Any suggestions
for an alternative in the same vein would be as well.

Thank you much,

--
Varek