[mythtv-users] Which HD card?

stan stanlist at cox.net
Fri Jul 28 20:10:41 UTC 2006

I'm running Myth .19 under Fedora FC4 on an 800 MHz P4 box with an Hauppauge
PVR350.  Everything has been working great.

The TV is SDTV, but I'm looking to add an HD capture card with goals of

	1.  Having it for the future when I get the new HDTV
	2.  Use it now by viewing on my computer LCD monitor

I've narrowed the cards down to the HD5500 and the Avermedia A180.  These
finalists were selected by the volume of information on this list.

I'm hoping someone responds with "Hey, just get this one.  It's a no
brainer.", but barring that does anyone know....

1.  Do both of these cards have hardware encoding of HD?
2.  Do they both output mpeg2 files?
3.  Do they also record 5.1 sound if it's sent in the ATSC signal?  Will 5.1
sound be in the recorded file and available if a player can play it.  Does
anyone send 5.1 in an ATSC signal?
4.  Can both cards be used as a second NTSC tuner (along with my PVR350)?
5.  Will there be driver conflicts between either card and my current
PVR350?
6.  It looks like the HD5500 has s-video input, but no stereo input. Is this
the case?
7.  Are there any quality differences in the captured media (resolution, bit
rate, etc.)?
8.  Are there any differences in signal strength they can receive (i.e. will
one card receive more stations than the other with the same antenna)?
9.  Does either card implement the "broadcast flag"?
10.  Are there any differences in difficulty of installation?  Will I need
to recompile the kernel, update an assembler language driver to match the
kernel, and cut three traces on my motherboard :-?

I've been everywhere from wiki to the HD5500 forums to this list.  I've
found bits and pieces of information but no definitive answers to the
questions.  Any information anyone has would be VERY helpful.

Thanks
--stan