[mythtv-users] What FCC ruling requires OTA digital unencrypted?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 15:26:05 UTC 2006

On 7/28/06, Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at me.vt.edu> wrote:
>         Hey all... starting to play with HDTV and digital with the arrival
> of a QAM-capable HDTV set.  After auto-tuning, it found a few digital
> channels, but with "unusable signal."  I suspect the local Adelphia is not
> providing anything unencrypted.
>
>         According to what I've read around here, the FCC ruling requires
> that OTA-receivable signals are provided unencrypted, no?  Can anyone cite
> chapter and verse of the ruling that requires it so I can go bust some
> heads with tech support?
>
> Thanks,
> -Cory

I don't have the FCC details you want but I can tell you that the
local digital channels were unencrypted on my Adelphia cable in VT.
So at the very least it is not a company wide policy to encrypt
locals.  I was able to get SD channels, HD channels and a few shopping
and cspan type things with an HD-3000.  Adelphia may not be your
problem.