[mythtv-users] Intro & question

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 04:47:40 UTC 2006

[SNIPPING everything and just replying indirectly]

Yeah, those parts from newegg sound good.  I'd spend the 9 bucks for
the 6200, but it seems most of the people on this list use the 5200
(including me on one of my machines) so if the 9 bucks is that
precious, save it and buy a couple of fridge packs of Sprite.

Sure sounds nice if the projector actually does use the input res as
it's output res, I guess you'll know very soon.

Must be nice to have alternatives for a cable provider in your area.
For me, at least for analog cable, Comcast is my only choice, and they
are craptastic at best.

The problem you'll face when you do get to the point of figuring out
if HBO-HD is encrypted or not is that if it is, the only way to get it
run *through* MythTV is to use a PVR-x50's analog inputs.  It'll
downgrade to a 720x480 signal, but will give you the ability to
pause/rewind/record the movies that are broadcast on it at their best
quality.  I'm sure you know this, but encryption needs to be
decrypted, and the only thing currently capable of that (legally) is
your STB that your cable company sends you.  If they choose to encrypt
a channel, and don't decrypt it over firewire, then... well your
choice is listed above ;)

Excellent, you can check if I am indeed wrong and you are using XvMC
by looking at the frontend log (which if you launch mythfrontend from
the command line is printed to stdout).  Another way to check is to
hit the ffwd/rew keys and see if your OSD is color.  If you haven't
made any code changes, these are normally gray when XvMC is working.
Your system might be powerful enough to decode SDTV without XvMC which
is why you haven't had a hiccup, or as you mentioned, I could be
wrong.

If it's 6 bucks, you've got it better than me.  The biggest irritant
to me regardless of how much the actual per month charge is, is that I
don't actually own the hardware.  I hate paying for anything hardware
wise if I can't own it at some point; I'm cool with rent-to-own (not
for me, but in general) simply because there is a light at the end of
the tunnel.  Per Month is against my inner self...  :D

And RF solution, definitely.  If you check the http://mythic.tv store,
for Dragon they use an RF remote:
REMOTE CONTROL: ATI Remote Wonder RF remote control
(from http://mythic.tv/system_specs.php )

Another option is the http://irblaster.info IR relay setup.  Works
nice if you've already got a remote control setup that works well for
you.

Good Luck!

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com