[mythtv-users] Westinghouse 42" 1080p DVI issues

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jul 27 22:14:35 UTC 2006

I just got a Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD display. I've run into a
couple of issues and hoping someone can offer advice.

1. I've got a 256MB FX-5200 with VGA and DVI out. I hooked up the VGA
and it looked great. I thought DVI might be a little better. For
DVD's, I was right. I did think it looked better, but when watching
anything recorded off a tuner (pcHDTV-5500, PVR-350) I get evenly-
spaced thin jumping horizontal lines that I don't get with VGA. They
are most noticeable with high-contrast images like white text on a
black background. I am running at 1920x1080 res. The obvious answer
is to just run VGA, but if I can get DVI happening, I would feel much
better. :) This is from my xorg.conf if it helps:
Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nvidia"
         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
         BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
         #Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
         #Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
         Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
         Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
         Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Westy"
VendorName "Westinghouse"
ModelName "LV42w2"
#HorizSync 67.5 - 68.5
#VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
#ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.500 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094
1124 -hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Westy"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080p"
EndSubSection
EndSection

2. MythPhoto displays thumbnail images perfectly, but when I try to
view an image full-screen, I get small horizontal bands of color
through a mostly black screen. When I change pictures, the colors
change so it looks like it's reading image data, but unable to
display at this res. This happens exactly the same through VGA and DVI.

3. I've got a DirecTV D-11 receiver going to my PVR-350. I've read
about controlling with a USB->serial adaptor (and null modem plus
serial cable on the other end). Before I go out and buy this setup,
I'd like to try to get it working with my current dual IR Blaster
(just controlling this device with it for now). Any hints as to how
to get this going is appreciated. I did a little searching, but I
couldn't find any easy to read walkthrough on which codes work, etc.
I do have lirc running since I'm using the remote from my PVR-350 to
control everything. Do I need a second instance of lirc running for
the blaster?

4. StepMania was working through sVideo on my card perfectly.
However, it crashes X whenever I try to launch. It tells me that it
couldn't write directly to OpenGL. Is there something I should add to
my xorg.conf that will allow whatever res it's looking for in order
to be able to write to it properly? I know this is more of a question
for a StepMania list, but I'm thinking someone here might have run
into it before.

Thanks,

Brad