[mythtv-users] Optimum compile settings for xbox?

Alexander Fisher alexjfisher at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 18:48:20 UTC 2006

On 27/07/06, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexander,
>

> Recompiling debian packages from their source packages really isn't that
> difficult.
> Something like ...
> apt-get source mythtv
> apt-get build-dep mythtv
>  cd mythtv-*
> #make some changes
> debchange --nmu
> fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
>
> What's the "debchange --nmu" and "dpkg-buildpackage" do?
>
> This is totally different than SVN, this is pulling down the source from
> RPM's is that correct?
>
> William,
>
> I've never used Gentoo before so I would be extremely interested in that
> turns out...
>
> AJM,

Debian packages are debs, not RPMs.  In the RPM system, source
packages come in the way of SRPMs and can be rebuilt with the rpm
tools.

debchange is a tool used to modify the debian changelog (nmu stands
for non-maintainer-upload).  dpkg-buildpackage is the tool for
building binary deb packages from source packages, which are generally
like the contents of normal tarballs with a special debian directory
added.  To download source packages using apt-get, you'll want some
'deb-src' lines in your sources.list file.

How's that for starters, (there's always google otherwise)?  :)

Regards,
Al