[mythtv-users] What does Myth *really* require in terms ofwindowingr?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 27 16:47:38 UTC 2006

On 07/27/06 10:35, Eric Ladner wrote:

> Hmm..  That's a good idea.  You could have a diskless frontend server
> that booted off of a Bootable USB pen drive.  Those easily go to 4GB
> now-a-days.  I should think it would be pretty easy to install a
> minimal FC5 distro, compile MythTV on a full FC5 box somewhere else,
> look at the library requirements, and bundle all that stuff up on the
> USB pen drive (including gnome, etc. for the window manager).
>
> That should easily be smaller than 4Gig.

Definitely.  My Myth box's boot/root is < 4GB (SI--less than 3.65GiB
(binary)) and /none/ of the binaries or libraries (Myth, X, bash, QT,
binutils, GCC, Apache HTTPd, MySQL, ... --none) are (explicitly)
stripped...  And I wasn't even trying to make it small because I've got
a full 13GB HDD available and it contains /everything/ for a
frontend/master backend combo (including DB) and hosts MythWeb.

$ df -k
/dev/hda2             13907036   3809012   9391568  29% /
/dev/hda1                 7745      3383      3962  47% /boot

Oh, and that includes 330MiB of source/patches for Myth and 2 sets of
(complete) kernel source (each about 230MiB) and development
libraries/headers for /everything/ on the system (i.e. the stuff in the
*-devel-* packages provided by distro packagers).

Mike