[mythtv-users] Intro & question

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:41:44 UTC 2006

> I have Time Warner Digital Cable (a Pioneer BD-V1100 box) and hadn't
> planned on doing anything higher than 480p stuff with my setup but I
> just bit the bullet on a 1280x720 (720p) native projector.  I'm
> putting a home theater in my basement I want to setup my system as a
> HTPC (it's a mid-tower case so it'll be in a separate area off to the
> side from my actual HT room).

I have a Dell 2300MP projector.

> So, a few questions:
> 1. My projector is an InFocus with the proprietary M1 connection.  I
> can get a 25' DVI-to-M1 cable to go straight from my GeForce card into
> the projector and hopefully drive it natively at 1280x720.  Question
> is: is this a good way to do it? I know standard SD channels aren't at
> that resolution but figure the combination of MythTV and the video
> card driver will handle the upscale better than just sending the
> projector the SD signal and letting it upscale the image.  I also
> figure for MythDVD and such, it'll also upscale and all that jazz
> (again, not sure if it's MythTV or the video card driver that'll
> handle that upscaling thing).

I drive my projector from the video card as well. I just ran a 25'
video cable from the computer to the ceiling where the projector is
mounted. I let the projector handle the resizing of the image. My
projector has a 'Resync' button I need to press periodically (not
while watching tv, from when it's been off) to get the picture to
display properly.

> 3. Should I upgrade to a newer video card?  The GeForce 3 has the
> necessary bits to support XvMC as I understand it...does upgrading it
> really get me much?  Maybe an HDMI port?  Would it be better to get
> that and then buy the HDMI-to-M1 cable for the InFocus projectors?

Maybe a fanless 6200 or something. When I get a Pioneer receiver in
which to plug my HT into, I will be switching to svideo. My card is
fanless and has svideo so I'm in good shape that way. Currently I have
a set of 2.1 speakers in my rec-room for sound. I only watch TV with
the projector from Myth.

--
-=/>Thom