[mythtv-users] Switch to enable "TiVO" like experience? WAS Re:mythtv keeping recordings of everything i watch?

Greg Estabrooks greg at phaze.org
Thu Jul 27 15:47:32 UTC 2006

> misunderstanding. Meaning that, the issue is not a single program, it is
> the issue of leaving the frontend running, and ending up with hours
> recordings.

 I think the misunderstanding might be yours. LiveTV is not just a single
file/buffer. It's one per program(Assuming guide data, no guide and you run
into the 8 hour limit with a big file). So if you watch 5 1 hour programs with
LiveTV there are 5 files, not a single massive file.

 So to be clear, if myth requires space for a scheduled recording,
OR for a new LiveTV "program" OR just to keep us about any set limits on
how much space must be free it will remove LiveTV first.

 LiveTV recordings that are not the inprogress "show" are ALWAYS at the top
of the expiry list when space is needed.

>assuming that I stopped watching at 10pm, and did not return to watch the
>TV until after work the following day, let's say 7pm. That's 20+ hours,
>and in fact could eat 42 Gigs at your run rate. But I digress. The point
>is that it's wasted space, and can be absolute crap, and stuff that

 It would use up 42 gigs ASSUMING none have been expired due to low disk
space issues. AND if you are low on disk space they get expired right away
... so how is that a waste? I would agree with it being a waste of space if
it didn't get auto expired, but since it does it's still useful space on the
drive. And now that it gets halted at 8 hours it would be at most 20Gigs of
still usable space thanks to autoexpiry.

 If your real worry is that you have other items using the same disk space
outside of myth then just set the minimum free space limit in myth so that we
always ensure that we keep that free for other applications.