[mythtv-users] Capture card with component video in?

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 07:32:37 UTC 2006

Did you know that a good proportion of video decoders (the bit on
tuner cards which digitises the video) these days have the capacity to
take component or RGB inputs?  Of course they probably _can't_
digitise anything above 720p (some even less I expect) but the
difference in capture quality would be worth having all the same.  Yet
all the tuner card manufacturers choose not to provide these kind of
inputs - go figure.

I'm amazed that nobody has messed about with this - in theory it'd be
quite easy to modify a tuner card to provide the required input
configuration and modify the driver slightly (to set the video
decoder's registers accordingly).. but to date I've not been able to
find any information about it having been done.