[mythtv-users] DVB-T in Australia - a quick question

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Jul 26 02:14:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:59 +1000, Rick Sauer wrote:
> Starting my first MYTHTV box for both front and backend and was
> wondering if this setup was enough to get me going.
>
> I've got an old P4 1.7 (on the old side I know, but i'll use what i
> have laying around)
> GeForce4 FX5200 w/ TV out
> 1Gb RAM
> 200GB HDD

Should be OK, although unless you are diligent about cleaning up
recordings you are going to fill up 200GB quickly.

> 1. My question is if I purchase the DVICO Dual Digital PCI card, will
> this be enough for me to record and view Australian Digital TV
> channels?

Yes.

> 2. Being pure digital, from what i gather from some research, not
> having the MPEG2 chip isn't a worry because the digital stream is
> already MPEG2?

Yes.  Recording a DVB-T stream to disk doesn't take up much CPU time,
just disk space.

> 3. Should i sacrifice the second digital tuner in lieu of the Hybrid
> cards that do both Digital and Analogue?

I went for a totally digital system.  The quality difference is just
amazing, especially if your analogue reception isn't good.

> 4. Do the Hybrid cards have the MPEG2 chips for encoding?

Yes, since the analogue signal needs to be encoded to a digital signal.

> or 5. Should i just scrap the DVB-T config and go with the PVR-150 and
> lirc to use my foxtel via S-Video. (although I'm on satellite and
> won't get channel 7 or 10!?!?)

I don't have foxtel, so can't really comment.

Tim.