[mythtv-users] Firewire fleeting on SA3250HD

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 21:24:29 UTC 2006

On 7/25/06, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/06, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 12:58 -0500, Allan Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > For what it is worth, I have to do the same thing. Start the backend
> > > and get the firewire going
> >
> > When you start the backend, is your firewire port configured as a
> > capture card at that point, or do you add it later after you have it
> > working with test-mpeg2?
> >
> > --Greg
>
> The backend has the firewire configured as a capture device.  Each
> time we start the backend, the firewire communications seem to get
> confused, however.  Using various tools, it is possible to get the
> communications re-synchronized, then the backend is able to use the
> firewire to record.
>
> John

I think I missed where you started discussing this on another thread but
I'll go over what I do that works every time for me. For whatever reason, I
stop then start the backend which kills the firewire connection. I already
have it setup in mythtv-setup so I don't have to do anything with that. So I
disconnect the firewire cable from the back of my cable box for about 15
seconds plug it back in and then do a soft power down and then power back up
using the remote on the cablebox. I then set the channel on the cable box to
a known good channel using my remote (I don't think you have to do this step
but I do it b/c it works). I then run a script I wrote called mythfwreset
that basically does the following

plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=0
plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1
plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].channelc
plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].bcast_connection=0

This basically shuts down the firewire p2p connection, restablishes and
turns off broadcast. I usually then run test-mpeg2 to make sure it is
working and then if everything is good start the frontend back up. Every
once in a while I have to do this a second time because it didn't work the
first time but only about 10% of the time and I never have to do it more
than twice.

Because I have to power down the cable box I haven't taken the time to
script all of this but I would guess that using either a good universal
remote or someone good with the firewire interface could power off the cable
box letting you script everything but I just haven't done it yet. Give this
a shot and if it doesn't work for you post the plugreport output from after
powering down and up the cable box but before the plugctl commands and then
after you run the plugctl commands and we can go from there. Hope this helps
and if I am confused with what you are getting stuck on point me in the
right direction.

Allan