[mythtv-users] Hardware suggestions

scamp scampgb at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 08:33:50 UTC 2006

On 7/25/06, Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:

> That case is pretty much a NSK2400 with a VFD and volume knob.  I've
> just put together a system with the NSK2400 case and can strongly
> recommend it, quiet and easy to work with.  It'll take a mATX board
> so that should give you plenty of choices.
>
> I ended up with an Athlon64 3200+, Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 M/B, and a
> Nvidia FX-7300 card (for TV-Out, PCI-e and fanless).  Just be sure to
> get a black DVD drive as anything else looks rather out of place with
> the silver plastic of the case.

Hi Wade
That sounds pretty-much perfect! Have you found the motherboard to be
stable?  What distro do you use?
I'm paranoid now as I've had so many problems with my Epia!

The FX-7300 seems to have a fan on it, so I'm more inclined to stick with
the passively-cooled FX-5200.  Do you think that would be appropriate for my
needs?

Sorry for all the stupid questions - but I'm not that great with hardware (I
last "understood" it just before the 486 came out!), and I've had my fingers
burnt too many times on this project.  The "WAF" is proving difficult!

Thanks
Steve