[mythtv-users] Companion to "Max episodes" setting...

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jul 25 03:26:12 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 07:39:07PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Remember there's a setting:
>
> Auto Expire Method
>     - Oldest Show First
>     - Lowest Priority First
>     - Weighted Time/Priority Combination
> Method used to determine which recorded shows to delete first.  LiveTV
> recordings will always expire before normal recordings.
>
> And, if using the Weighted Time/Priority Combination, a setting:
>
> Auto Expire Priority Weight
> The number of days bonus a program gets for each priority point. This is
> only used when the Weighted Time/Priority Auto Expire Method is selected.

Ah, I'm using 0.19-fixes, so I don't have this setting.

This sounds almost like what I was suggesting.  The difference is that
it combines priority and age, where I was suggesting combining
priority and the number of younger episodes of the same show.  This
would probably work better when you've got some daily programs and
some weekly ones competing for space.  Wouldn't the new weighted
scheme tend to keep 7 episodes of a daily show for every episode of a
weekly show with the same priority?  That's probably not ideal.  Of
course, my suggestion doesn't take age into account, so it wouldn't be
adequate by itself.  But it would make sense to add an extra setting
after the "Auto Expire Priority Weight" like:

    Auto Expire Multi-Episode Penalty
    The number of days penalty a program pays for each younger episode of
    the same program stored.  This is only used when the Weighted
    Time/Priority Auto Expire Method is selected.

Anyway, I look forward to trying out the new expire method when .20 is
released, to see if my objection is a problem in practice.

--
Peter Schachte              Microsoft could never have succeeded as a
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        software company if its intentions to sabotage