[mythtv-users] Pentium D Motherboard Suggestion / Recommendation?

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 24 23:07:18 UTC 2006

Several months back, I "upgraded" my HDTV OTA slave backend to an Asus
P5VD1-X motherboard with a Pentium D 820.  I did that to get enough cpu
to stop having hesitations and stuttering while watching 1080i
recordings, and that part was successful at least.  However, once I did
that I started experiencing several types of intermittent problems,
including lockups of the X display (but can ssh in), extended sound
loops while exiting recordings, failed recordings ("B length
recordings"), etc.

After much troubleshooting, I think I've isolated it to the motherboard,
most probably to IRQ handling issues with regards to the PT880 Ultra
chipset.  I can get it to work fairly reliably as long as I insert only
one HDTV card, since in that case the HDTV card doesn't have to share
one of the PCI IRQ's with another device like sound, NIC, or VGA.
However, once a second HDTV card is inserted and operated, something
immediately stops working.  Note that all of this worked fine with the
previous motherboard which had an Intel 865 chipset.

I tried upgrading to the 2.6.17.6 kernel and that didn't fix the
problem, so it looks like either I fall back to my previous m/b & cpu
and live with the with stuttering, or find a new motherboard for the
Pentium D 820.  Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
Cost is somewhat of a consideration since I'll likely have to also buy a
new PCI-e graphics card (6200TC?) and some DDR2 (the advantage of the
P5VD1-X, had it worked, was that it supported both AGP and DDR).

Thanks!

Bill