[mythtv-users] pvr-350 slighly fuzzy picture

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Mon Jul 24 19:41:38 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
>> Can anyone give me any pointers on how to "sharpen"
>> the picture.  I'm starting to wonder if all my work
>> was in vain...cool features are great, but lossing
>> picture quality is not something I want.  By the way,
>> I have tried swapping out cables....didn't help.
>> Right now I'm using the same S-Video cable that I use
>> for my DVD player (fine picture cable).  I've also
>> tried about 3 different coax (input) cables.
>
> Make sure the PVR card is not using (heavy) noise reduction - by
> default I think it is enabled when the ivtv driver is loaded - you can
> control it using ivtvctl. Also, make sure you have a recent firmware
> installed for the PVR card - the ivtv output in the syslog will let
> you know if you are using a buggy firmware.

One other thing that may be affecting you.  The PVR card's tuners seem
to be a little on the weak side, meaning that if you don't have a strong
input signal, you'll get poor captures.  To check, you can try one of
two things.  One, move your rig temporarily to as close to where the
cable input comes into your house as possible, thus bypassing any
splitters and/or long cable runs.  The other is capturing an s-video
(preferred) or composite source, such as from a DVD player or your cable
box output, and compare that to your cable capture (use the ivtvctl
utility to set up the card using the -p parameter), and capture from the
command line ( cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg ).  If the close
to the cable entry capture (or the s-video capture) looks significantly
better than the cable input at your normal location, you may have a weak
input to the card.  Eliminate any unneeded splitters and/or look into
getting a signal amp (installed as close to the incoming cable line as
possible).  Google around for info on the best way to use a signal amp,
because sometimes too much amplification is as bad or worse than no
amplification (and can cause problems with a cable modem, if you have one).

One other possibility is using the wrong frequency table (such as hrc
instead of standard catv), but for me that usually means getting no
signal, not a poor one.

HTH,
  Jeff.