[mythtv-users] pvr-350 slighly fuzzy picture

Bob Mill bm1ll at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 15:52:15 UTC 2006

I've been trying to get MythTV installed for the past
couple weeks. I've pretty much gotten everything to
work but I've been pretty suprised by the picture
quality (or lack of) that I'm getting with the
pvr-350.  As a basis, I'm currently running the latest
KnoppMyth.

My issue is that  the LiveTV picture is definitely
"fuzzier" than what I get without using Myth (regular
TV input).  This seems to be the same whether or not I
have the "usr PVR-350 hardware encoding" checked.  I
have bumped up my resolution to 720x480 and have
increased my bitrate but that doesn't seem to really
help that much.

I'm kinda suprised that I'm having this problem since
everyone raves about the picuture quality of the
pvr-350.  The pictures in the thumbnails (recordings)
look good, but anything (LiveTV/recordings/etc) at
full screen looks bad.

By the way, this is on a 52" Hitachi rear-projection
TV.  This is regular cable, not digital or high def.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how to "sharpen"
the picture.  I'm starting to wonder if all my work
was in vain...cool features are great, but lossing
picture quality is not something I want.  By the way,
I have tried swapping out cables....didn't help.
Right now I'm using the same S-Video cable that I use
for my DVD player (fine picture cable).  I've also
tried about 3 different coax (input) cables.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob