[mythtv-users] Hardware suggestions

scamp scampgb at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 15:21:21 UTC 2006

Hi

I've been using MythTV on a Via EPIA MII-10000 for a little while now, but
I've not been able to fix some annoying problems with regular system
lockups.  These happen at least once a day, and fsck has been quite busy of
late.
I've been following a thread on the VIA website about it, which seems to
conclude that it's a problem with one of the chipsets and it's not likely to
be fixed.

So, I've decide to replace the thing.  I've done a fair amount of browsing,
but I'd like a little advice on a suitable motherboard.

What I plan to build is:
Antec Fusion case (http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID739)
NVidia FX5200
Motherboard, processor & memory
Existing 300Gb IDE hard drive, PVR-350 & WinTV-Nova-T-USB2

The NVidia FX5200 seems inexpensive and seems to have good support.

I'm looking for a Mini-ITX motherboard that is reliable/stable under Linux.
My preferred distro is Debian.  I'm based in the UK, so something that's
available here would help :-)

This box will sit under my TV, so I'll need it to be really quiet.  I'll be
using it for SD recording, both from digital terrestrial and the S-Video
input on the PVR-350 (connected to a satellite box).
I'd like to be able to use MythDVD and the visualisations on MythMusic.

Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks :-)

Steve