[mythtv-users] Duplicate Detection and Conflict Resolution Questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jul 23 23:00:06 UTC 2006

On 07/23/2006 06:31 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> Today, I decided to do some preventative maintenance on my Myth
> system. Clear out the logs, delete recordings that people hadn't
> deleted, yet watched and didn't care about, and handle conflict
> resolution (as I had recently added a few more programs to my
> recording list). I noticed a problem that didn't seem to exist under
> 0.18.1, which was Duplicate Detection, and one that should have
> handled itself, conflict resolution. For the record, my back-end is
> KnoppMyth R5C7 (MythTV 0.19-fixes).
>
> We like South Park in our house, and we're fortunate enough not only
> to get it from Comedy Central, but also from the local WB affiliate.
> However, the local affiliate airs showings at :05 and :35, while
> Zap2It shows them as :00 and :30. As a result, I had to create a
> separate recording request for South Park on the local affiliate,
> telling it to start five minutes late, and end five minutes late. I
> come home, and see two of the exact same episode waiting for me on
> the hard disk, one from Comedy Central, one from WB. The episode
> title is identical, yet both were recorded. Is this because of the
> two separate rules?

More likely because of slight differences in subtitle (episode title) or
description.

> I also decided to record Rollerball (-2 priority), Family Guy (-5
> priority) and The Revolution (0 priority). While looking through
> upcoming recordings, Myth showed me Rollerball in conflict with
> Family Guy, as well as The Revolution. The Revolution had a higher
> priority than Rollerball, but it was also showing at a later time.
> Either way, Myth elected to nix Rollerball, and keep Family Guy and
> Revolution. Any theories as to why this happened?

Because you didn't set:

Reschedule Higher Priorities
Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that
would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
program if the schedule changes.

>  My choice was to
> tell the showing of The Revolution not to record (Family Guy followed
> suit automatically, and Rollerball activated), and the later showing
> (yes, it's the same episode) activated. Shouldn't Myth have seen the
> resolution to this conflict?

It did, but you hadn't given Myth permission to use it.

Mike