[mythtv-users] building for OS X - osx-packager.pl, bus errors...

Michael Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Sat Jul 22 18:26:59 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I recently did my monthly-ish upgrade to the latest SVN on my backend
and main frontend (both on Linux).  Works great.  However, my Mac OS
X frontend was then behind in the protocol, so I'm trying to get a
working OS X frontend again, but am running into problems.  I've
tried a few things:

1) Downloaded from http://www.willamette.edu/~gkruse/myth/ (where I
used to grab builds).  The packages available here are quite old.
Any updates coming?

2) Downloaded from thesniderpad.com.  These builds crash with bus
errors on my PPC PowerBook G4.  Are these now being built for Intel
Macs only?

3) Ran osx-packager.pl.  I get linking errors with the lame library,
and I'm guessing it's because I have gcc 4.0 now on my Mac.  If I
switch my gcc, et all links to the older 3.3 binaries, I then get a
link error
ld: Undefined symbols:
_fprintf$LDBLStub
_snprintf$LDBLStub
_vfprintf$LDBLStub
_sscanf$LDBLStub

4) Followed the detailed steps on the Myth on Mac OS X page in the
wiki.  During myth compilation, I get this:
NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp: In member function `void
NuppelVideoPlayer::calcSliderPos(StatusPosInfo&, bool)':
NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp:5406: internal compiler error: Bus error
It's repeatable, so I'll just have to consider filing a bug report
with Apple for that one...

So, to sum up, I'm on a PowerPC G4 PowerBook, OS X 10.4.7, and am
trying to build a frontend.  My backend is at SVN revision 10517.
Thanks in advance for any tips.

-Mike